Finding Creative solutions to Mix Problems

Last month I wrote about how your ‘ear’ for identifying and fixing problems improves significantly when you dedicate yourself to producing full time.  Recently I had a situation which showed exactly this, and where my solution for fixing a problem was far different (and much more successful) than I would have come up with 9 months ago.

When I was writing ‘Cantana 1‘, I had come up with a patch for the main synth ‘stab’ sound…

The patch was made in V-Station using some FM between 2 of the oscillators, and I was fairly happy with the sound… thought that the FM gave a cool kind of gritty edginess to it.  But when it came to making the sound fit in the mix, it was really difficult to get it to properly stand out… it just seemed to get lost behind the other instruments and percussion.

I’d faced the same problem in the past (often with V-Station patches), and in those cases I’d often used large mid-range EQ boosts to try and correct the problem.  But this had also had limited success, often making the sound a bit ‘bloated’ and muddying up the mix.  When faced with this problem in the past, it could have quite possibly led me to abandon the sound altogether, just because I couldn’t get it to mix nicely.  I guess my thinking was along the lines of “it’s not fitting well, and I don’t know what else to do to fix it, so I’m just going to get rid of it”.

However, armed with the experience of the past year, plus the additional confidence that comes with that, I looked at the problem a bit more analytically…  The chord and the original patch I was using was quite low in terms of pitch, and as the FM was turned up quite high, there were a lot of ‘fizzy’ harmonics in the sound.  Hence, it seemed that the problem was a simple lack in mid-range frequency content… in the context of the track, the bass line and percussion were already supplying the low and high frequencies, and I needed this sound to ‘fill in the middle’, and provide the main theme.  But due to the patch and chord used, the mid-range was quite lacking… EQ would likely not have fully solved the problem too… you can’t EQ frequencies that aren’t in a sound to begin with.

In this case, I used a second instance of V-Station with a similar patch, but one with no FM and whose oscillators were much more centred around the mid-range.  It had a much cleaner and more rounded sound…

I fed both V-Station instances from the same MIDI track, and blended the V-Station audio outputs.  The result was as follows…

Whilst in isolation I actually prefer the original FM patch, the blended version was much easier to fit into the mix, and saved a lot of headaches trying to correct things with EQ (and potentially tedious automation of the EQ to adjust to the filter sweeps used on this instrument).

In retrospect, it was nice to see that I’d discovered more creative solutions to problems, and was able to analyze a problem to provide a solution, rather than giving up… my thinking was more along the lines of “there’s a problem here… now what’s causing it”, and this led to a preventative solution, rather than the corrective (and likely less successful) solution of messing with EQ.  It shows that (as mentioned in the previous post) your mixing and producing skills can really improve with dedicated and regular practice.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s